
Every October I post about Breast Cancer Awareness. It is a very important issue in our family as Tony's sister was diagnosed very young, at 35. She is a survivor! I have had several friends in the past 3 years be diagnosed as well....2 from my wedding party. It is real to all women, in some way.
After these past 2 weeks I am getting on my soap box again and telling you all how VERY IMPORTANT mammograms and self exams are!!! My story begins on Monday, August 2. I went for my yearly mammogram, in a new Women's Center, since we moved. I went back to Houston for my regular women's appt. After all the problems I have had when I find a doctor I trust and like ....I stay. She told me to just make an appointment in my area for the mammogram and have the results faxed to her. Sounds easy, right? I made my appointment and had to wait 2 weeks so they would be certain to have my baseline mammogram from Houston.....again, should be easy. So I wait the 2 weeks and get there and they do not have the baseline...they dropped the ball here and FORGOT to get it! I had my mammogram anyway and signed the forms(AGAIN) to have my baseline faxed here. As I stood in the cold room with the mammogram tech I had a very strange and panicky feeling come over me. The tech was very chatty at the beginning and then completely silent and said absolutely nothing after the first side was done. I tried to have eye contact with her and asked a lot of questions, trying to get some reassurance and all she could say was that the radiologist would read it once he got the baseline. I left there with a gut feeling that something was wrong. In my heart of hearts I knew. I do not get 'feelings' very often but when I do they are right on. I called Houston daily and they assured me that they sent the baseline...9 days later I get the dreaded call...We need you to come in as soon as possible there are 2 spots 7 mm and 9 mm big that are of concern. The soonest appointment was yesterday. I had 2 days of waiting. Tony was in Indianapolis and came home that night I got the call, thankfully. After several different shots than I have ever had on a mammogram, and in various positions I did not know my body to ever twist into they were still very concerned that the spots were asymmetrical and needed further testing. So the 2 drs were discussing biopsy vs ultrasound....the ultrasound won out and that took forever and then sitting while everything was compared and analyzed I got the ALL CLEAR!!!! It is dense tissue and not tumors!!! WOW!!!
The power of prayer from all of those that knew what was going on got me through this.
Poor Tony was sitting in the waiting room for the whole time. After every test and each mammogram I asked a nurse or dr to go let him know what was going on and they said they find it is better not to tell the people waiting anything until results are definitive so they don't read anything into what they are told....BUT...from Tony's point of view...the appointment was to take about 1 hr and lasted almost 3.....so some word, ANY word would have been helpful.
In the past day I have had 3 people...all over the age of 45 tell me they have never had a mammogram. 2 of those 3 made appointments yesterday afternoon for their 1st mammogram. I will get off my soapbox for now....but GET YOUR MAMMOGRAMS! They save lives and early detections is the best way!
Have a great weekend! I know we are!
**Deep Sigh of Relief**
11 comments:
So glad everything is ok:)
Wow! What an ordeal! I'm glad that things turned out good for you!!
A BIG sigh of Relief!! I'm glad all is well.
So glad to hear you are A OK! It is so scary! I had 3 scists in my breast when I was 27 and I just found another one 6 weeks ago. Until you know it is ok it is really scary! Thanks for pushing people to get their mammograms!
Mammo's aren't that bad. The hardest part is making the appt. When you find a place you like, stick with it, BUT~~~~always get your mammo. It is too important to miss or put off. You couldn't have said it better, Stacey!!!!!
You said it best...The power of Prayer is everything. I am so grateful that everything turned out the way it should and that you can be an advocate to woman on breast cancer awareness!! Here's to you Miss Pinky!!
Too scary!! The waiting is the worst!!! :-( So happy to hear the good news. It's such a relief...I know!! :-)
Keep Celebrating! :-)
I'm glad everything worked out for you! It is sad to hear of those that wait until it's too late. Keep your soapbox position, you never know who you help. Thanks for being so open about a very scary ordeal.
I think of these exams as gifts to my family. They ARE important! Whew!
WOW. So glad that you're ok. Terribly scary.
SO relieved you are all clear! YAY for clean bills of health!!!!
Post a Comment