Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Quest....

My personal quest this week has been to find the "best chocolate chip cookie". It started on Sunday and I had not made the Tollhouse recipe for years the kids decided on chocolate chip cookies so I made them and they were the ugliest cookies I have ever made! The kids laughed at them. So....I was on a mission to find the best chocolate chip cookie. I tried 4 recipes in 4 days. The kids took the cookies to school that were left over from snacks...except for this batch...they were gone. Brenn, Brooke and Tony devoured them. I followed the recipe exactly except I added 2 cups mini chips and 1 cup white chocolate chips.I am not a fan of chocolate, and the white chocolate added a more mild flavor. YUM-O!! Check out the song I found to go with this as well!! :)



Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips, or chunks
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine salt
Directions
Evenly position 2 racks in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. (on convection setting if you have it.) Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone sheets. (If you only have 1 baking sheet, let it cool completely between batches.)

Put the butter in a microwave safe bowl, cover and microwave on medium power until melted. (Alternatively melt in a small saucepan.) Cool slightly. Whisk the sugars, eggs, butter and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth.

Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon; take care not to over mix. Stir in the chocolate chips or chunks.

Scoop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared pans. Wet hands slightly and roll the dough into balls. Space the cookies about 2-inches apart on the pans. Bake, until golden, but still soft in the center, 12 to 16 minutes, depending on how chewy or crunchy you like your cookies. Transfer hot cookies with a spatula to a rack to cool.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Thanks for sharing!! By the way, that is a lot of cookies!!! :-)

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

So, is this the big winner of the quest? It sounds very yummy. I will have Natalie give it a try. She is at that wonderful age were she loves being in the kitchen. She loves making treats.

EmRee said...

When I read you were on a quest I thought you were out buying cookies from every store in town (that would have been my quest - can you tell I was raised by a home economist? Poor Mom raises her eyebrows at me frequently). I'm very impressed by the dedication and kitchen tenacity!

The Leithead Family said...

wow! i will definitely have to try this recipe...sometime! i don't bake much. my problem is that when i make treats, i eat them ALL!! i have no self-control. :) you amaze me at how awesome you are in the kitchen!!

Tricia said...

I'm making them today!!