Monday, November 3, 2008

Our History of Presidents



Democrat or Republican~ we live in this great land as citizens of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! I am drawn to history, largely because Tony taught it for 11 years at Lovell High School. Lately Britt has become more interested in US History, taking it in college. It is amazing and exciting to watch her evolve and come into her own as a voting citizen. Tony and I used to be on opposite sides of the ticket, our votes cancelled each other out. My mom, (Mrs. Republican) at the onset of our relationship, said that "He will come around" *wink wink* and he did! As a teacher he challenged each student to find what worked for them and know why they were voting the way they did. He loves history and the political process.He left education because he was discouraged that excellence was not rewarded. He firmly believes that individual initiative and personal contribution should be rewarded more than entitlement. He has worked so hard to get ahead in his career and the company recognizes his efforts! I was raised in a political family and have a love for the process and history behind the process. Brooklyn is tired of history, mostly because in TX a student takes Texas history every year!! HAHA, seriously, the Texans take their history very seriously. She has been educated in WYOMING history and Delaware history as well as Texas history! Brenn craves information. In DE, he taught us about the state history(being the 1st state, DE is big into state history). In TX he has learned about Sam Houston and the Alamo and Stephen F. Austin. I guess what i want to get across is that our nation is great in many ways. The political process amazing to me. I am enthralled by the way it works, as I get older and vote for things that matter to me and my family, I want to be more active in it. Tomorrow Americans get the privilege of casting our vote for 1 of 2 candidates. Please go and VOTE! It is an amazing process. Below is a list of the presidents...Tony can name them all, I cannot. I learned them in 5th grade an d never remembered them. Thought it was an interesting list to look at on the eve of an important election. God Bless America!



President Vice President
George Washington (1789-1797) John Adams (1789-1797)
John Adams (1797-1801) Thomas Jefferson (1797-1801)
Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809) Aaron Burr (1801-1805)
George Clinton (1805-1809)
James Madison (1809-1817) George Clinton (1809-1812)
none (1812-1813)
Elbridge Gerry (1813-1814)
none (1814-1817)
James Monroe (1817-1825) Daniel D. Tompkins (1817-1825)
John Quincy Adams (1825-1829) John C. Calhoun (1825-1829)
Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) John C. Calhoun (1829-1832)
none (1832-1833)
Martin Van Buren (1833-1837)
Martin Van Buren (1837-1841) Richard M. Johnson (1837-1841)
William Henry Harrison (1841) John Tyler (1841)
John Tyler (1841-1845) none (1841-1845)
James K. Polk (1845-1849) George M. Dallas (1845-1849)
Zachary Taylor (1849-1850) Millard Fillmore (1849-1850)
Millard Fillmore (1850-1853) none (1850-1853)
Franklin Pierce (1853-1857) William King (1853)
none (1853-1857)
James Buchanan (1857-1861) John C. Breckinridge (1857-1861)
Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865) Hannibal Hamlin (1861-1865)
Andrew Johnson (1865)
Andrew Johnson (1865-1869) none (1865-1869)
Ulysses S. Grant (1869-1877) Schuyler Colfax (1869-1873)
Henry Wilson (1873-1875)
none (1875-1877)
Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-1881) William Wheeler (1877-1881)
James A. Garfield (1881) Chester Arthur (1881)
Chester Arthur (1881-1885) none (1881-1885)
Grover Cleveland (1885-1889) Thomas Hendricks (1885)
none (1885-1889)
Benjamin Harrison (1889-1893) Levi P. Morton (1889-1893)
Grover Cleveland (1893-1897) Adlai E. Stevenson (1893-1897)
William McKinley (1897-1901) Garret Hobart (1897-1901)
Theodore Roosevelt (1901)
Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909) none (1901-1905)
Charles Fairbanks (1905-1909)
William Howard Taft (1909-1913) James S. Sherman (1909-1912)
none (1912-1913)
Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921) Thomas R. Marshall (1913-1921)
Warren G. Harding (1921-1923) Calvin Coolidge (1921-1923)
Calvin Coolidge (1923-1929) none (1923-1925)
Charles Dawes (1925-1929)
Herbert Hoover (1929-1933) Charles Curtis (1929-1933)
Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945) John Nance Garner (1933-1941)
Henry A. Wallace (1941-1945)
Harry S Truman (1945)
Harry S Truman (1945-1953) none (1945-1949)
Alben Barkley (1949-1953)
Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-1961) Richard Nixon (1953-1961)
John F. Kennedy (1961-1963) Lyndon B. Johnson (1961-1963)
Lyndon B. Johnson (1963-1969) none (1963-1965)
Hubert Humphrey (1965-1969)
Richard Nixon (1969-1974) Spiro Agnew (1969-1973)
none (1973)
Gerald Ford (1973-1974)
Gerald Ford (1974-1977) none (1974)
Nelson Rockefeller (1974-1977)
Jimmy Carter (1977-1981) Walter Mondale (1977-1981)
Ronald Reagan (1981-1989) George Bush (1981-1989)
George Bush (1989-1993) Dan Quayle (1989-1993)
Bill Clinton (1993-2001) Al Gore (1993-2001)
George W. Bush (2001- ) Dick Cheney (2001- )

3 comments:

Teri said...

I really feel the importance of voting this year, and will be voting tomorrow.

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Great post. I followed your example and did the early voting last week. Now I can just sit and watch CNN all day Tuesday.

nicc and aimee said...

Mr. Mullins,
(I just can't bring myself to call you anything else.) It's neat that you ran into our blog. It's also hard to believe your wife has convinced you to be on the right side of politics. I can't believe how grown up your kids are. You all look great.
I am currently teaching Math at Star Valley High School. This is the first year I've coached at the High School. I spent my first two years here coaching 8th grade football. It's been a lot of fun and very rewarding. Y'all take care. Hope to hear back from you.
Nicc